August 19, 2004

Uninvited Guests

This phenomenon is normal in this country and quite annoying. Even Burak’s dad agrees with me. You always have to be ready for tea time and for the unexpected, uninvited guest to come a knocking on your door.

The other day we had guests arrive at the door while I was in my pajamas working on the laptop at the kitchen table, Burak was hanging out in the living room, Burak’s dad was in his pajamas taking a nap, and Burak’s mom was in the shower. We had planned to eat in just 10 minutes or so from that point. But all that changed without our consent when we had visitors at the door.

We all had to stop what we were doing and rush to greet the guests and put tea on the stove to properly serve them. Of course, from my experience, any guest visit that also involved tea and cookies usually takes at least one and half to two hours. Luckily, I was able to excuse myself because I was studying for the LSAT.

As soon as they left, we all rushed to the kitchen to set the table and quickly ate our food because we had been starving throughout the entire visit.

No comments: