October 30, 2005

Balancing law school and Mary Kay, making new goals

I just got back from that trip to TX where I not only saw my family but I went to a Mary Kay summit. I got really excited about my Mary Kay business but then I came back home and realized I had a lot of reading to do.

My first goal going into it was to break even and see what I thought about it along the way. I am almost even, thanks to my 30 facials in 30 days challenge. That is also why I haven't had enough time to read. I had a meeting this last Monday for a couple of hours then a party on Wednesday night for 3 hours! Today I have a facial as well and have to make a large order.

Anyway, I think that was I was going to write in my past post was that after you reach your goals it is sometimes like reaching the top of a hill but then seeing a taller mountain near by and thinking, 'Darn, I reached my goals and now what?' as you see that there are other mountains to climb.

Sort of along with that thought, I seem to be saying ' you have to choose your battles' a lot more frequently these days. I think that is so true.

I was pissed off when I was in high school that I was human, 'why?' you might ask. I wished I could be super woman and not need to sleep and be able to do anything I wanted regardless of time constraints. Now, without being too cynical, I just realize I have to be realistic. I need to just choose 3 or 4 things and do them well instead of letting people down. I didn’t realize this in high school.

But back to goals, so I got into law school, where do I go from here? I am almost in the black with Mary Kay after just 2 months, so where now?

Law school - I think it is very important to reread your interest statement that you wrote to get into school and also write something down before you start that says why you went there in the first place. You get a little confused and overwhelmed once you get into it.

My current goals with law: Graduate, take the TX and/or whatever Bar that I need to practice in DC. Work for the US Govt for a few years, preferably on the Hill, then go back to Austin to settle down for a little bit (ie have kids, buy a house and dog). Then go back to DC. :)

My current goals with Mary Kay: Continue to break even, meet the consistency challenge for 6 months, get some team members, and have fun.

Goals are really important. It only happens every other year or so that I have to evaluate my short-term and/or long-term goals. Each time can be a little depressing or maybe it is just the growing pains of having left that comfortable place, reaching what you had worked on forever! (I have wanted to go to law school since I was 15), and stretching your paradigm to the next level. That stuff hurts. It makes you question why you are where you are in the first place. In the end, I think that is best. That way you don't wake up at 50 or 60 wondering why you are where you are. You get to have a self-evaluation every year or two so you stay on the right path.

Well, obviously I have a lot on my mind and I am procrastinating from my law reading. I love to read Torts first because those cases are interesting (when people sue others for negligence, etc.)

No comments: